We’re previewing and ranking the top teams in the Euro 2012 tournament. We normally rank the top club teams in the world based on their performances, however we’re going to venture from the norm to subjectively predict the top teams in each Euro Group. After the group phase we’ll be ranking the four best remaining teams based on their tournament performances. It should be a really fun and exciting tournament as at least half of the 16 countries have a legitimate chance to capture international soccer’s second most important trophy. Of course these occasions always bring out the unexpected and we’ll surely see a new star emerge. Don’t forget to leave your comments on who you think will perform well in Euro 2012.
1. Russia – Unquestionable the weakest of the four groups. Russia football is on the rise and Euro 2012 could be their coming out party. Factor in the Russian club football calendar, and it’s likely the Russians will have the freshest team in the tournament.
2. Czech Republic – It’s not the best squad they’ve fielded, but they do have some solid players. Given the match-ups they’ll be looking to reach the knockout rounds.
3. Poland – They’ll be difficult to beat playing at home, but ultimately they lack the talent of most the participants.
4. Greece – In this group they’ll certainly have a chance to advance.
1. Netherlands – Defense will be the key, as MVB and DeJong will have to stop the opponents attack. There is no question they have an awesome attack with Sneijder, Robben, and Van Persie, but can they prevent the counter? After just missing the World Cup, they come into this tournament extremely hungry.
2. Portugal – With Ronaldo they can create a goal from nothing. Keep an eye on Portugal to be the surprise team of the tournament.
3. Germany – Many people are calling the Germans the favorite, however things don’t always go according to the book. Given how difficult this group is, Germany seems like an upset candidate.
4. Denmark – They have more talent then people realize, and certainly will take a point from someone in this group.
1. Spain – Spain are the reining champions of Europe and the World, however sooner or later their run has to end. We wouldn’t advise betting against them, but fatigue and a weaker then normal defense could be their undoing.
2. Italy – They were on a roll in qualifying, but suddenly seem to be a team of problems. They’ll either make an incredible run or crash out, and that’s anyone’s guess.
3. Ireland – Not the best Irish team, they’ll need some help and luck to get past Italy and Spain.
4. Croatia – Same as Ireland, they need some luck.
1. England – England typically doesn’t perform on these stages, but they could be inspired by Chelsea’s heroics. Right now they have sometype of karma-momunetum going into the tournament.
2. France – You never know what your going to get from France, but look for a talented French side to make a run.
3. Sweden – They have Ibra, meaning they’re a threat to get a goal at anytime.
4. Ukraine – Difficult to pick against a host nation, so don’t count them out in this group.